Choosing a SIP trunking provider
The SIP trunk market is congested one. As SIP trunking has matured and become a commodity product, the demand has led to popularity across vendors in the marketplace. Differentiating product offerings and vendor strengths is a time-consuming task that must be completed when assessing which SIP provider to choose. We’ve laid out some guidelines to help make the process easier.
- Consider your network – Does your selected provider have experience dealing with both SIP and network elements? The two are intrinsically linked so a provider that specialises in both is key.
- Compatibility – Offering SIP trunks doesn’t guarantee that your PBX is interoperable. Firstly, check out whether you can connect SIP trunks natively to your PBX – you may need some additional equipment with some PBXs. Also check with the SIP provider that their specific SIP offering is compatible with your make and model of PBX.
- Availability – If your business operates in more than one country, you need to ensure that your SIP provider can provide service there too. ISDN is a legacy technology that was adopted by most countries around the world. SIP, whilst mature, is not available in every country via every provider.
- UAT – User Acceptance Testing is crucial for any business communications rollout. Just like a project for a desktop refresh or an OS upgrade, you should plan for extensive UAT with your service provider.
- Finances – the SIP market is a large one. Vendors range from small to extremely large. When selecting a SIP provider, it is important to match with one that mirrors your business setup. If you have 50,000 users, choosing a 10 person business will not scales – and vice versa.
- Post install experience – Checking the support and account management processes is always advised when purchasing cloud communications. Services like SIP require a level of attention that other services do not need. Make sure you are aware of the technical support processes and what the role of an account manager or customer success manager will play.